Baby almost dead hours after mum took him to hospital because he seemed tired

Baby almost dead hours after mum took him to hospital because he seemed tired

A baby boy was left fighting for his life after his mum took him to hospital because he seemed lethargic.

Phillippa Berry was forced to watch on helplessly through a surgery room window as baby Veni went into cardiac arrest.

His tiny body was lost in a sea of wires as medics fought desperately to save his life.

Hours earlier Phillipa had sought medical help for her boy due to his tiredness and the fact he was not eating.

The 36-year-old realised he had been unwell for several weeks, but at first doctors brushed it off as a viral infection.

In hospital medics found the 15-month-old had an issue with his heart and hooked him up to machines so they could shock it.

The mother-of-one, from Radcliffe, Bury, broke down in tears as she recalled being sat down with doctors in a private room.

They told her Veni may not survive.

“Whenever I’m alone with my thoughts I have flashbacks of the doctor telling me that,” she said.

“I was just praying. I thought, ‘you can’t take him away from me’.

“I just couldn’t believe it. I saw them doing the heart massages on him and I just broke down in the corridor.

“I was hysterical. I was on my knees. His father was being sick in the corner with a bucket.

“It was surreal. There are loads of pieces I don’t remember at all.”

By this point, Veni had gone into cardiac arrest several times.

He was rushed to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool for further treatment.

His traumatised parents followed closely behind with a police escort.

The following morning at 9am, Veni was hooked up to an extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) machine in the intensive care unit.

It helped to pump blood around his body, meaning Veni’s heart could have a rest.

The machine, which Phillippa says costs thousands of pounds a day to run, is the only thing keeping her baby alive.

Almost a month on Veni has not yet been diagnosed and his condition has baffled doctors.

She continued: “It has been the worst experience. I can’t pick a point in my life that is anywhere near what I have gone through.

“He wasn’t responding to the drugs at first but his heart rate has come down so the drugs are working.

“He’s doing a lot better now. He seems to be responding but the doctors don’t know what the issue is.

“He has had his breathing tube out now but he’s still critical and in ICU.

“If I didn’t live so close to this hospital, we might not be in this situation where we are now. He probably would not have made it.”

Phillippa, who works part time for Dunelm, said Veni has always been a healthy baby and has never fallen ill.

It is not yet clear if he has suffered brain damage as a result of the cardiac arrests.

“You’ve always got to have hope but I didn’t think I was bringing him home,” she continued.

“I thought any day now I was going to be packing my stuff and going home without him.

“I couldn’t even look at pictures of him, it was too upsetting.

“Now I feel hopeful we will be able to take him home.

“But there’s still a long way to go and he’s still critical. We’re not out of the deep end just yet.”

Phillippa is now raising funds for Alder Hey Children’s Charity.

The fundraiser aims to help fund the costly ECMO machine which helped save Veni’s life.