Man died on Christmas Day after drinking whisky and hot water to cure a cold

Man died on Christmas Day after drinking whisky and hot water to cure a cold

A man lost his life on Christmas Day having drank alcohol after waking up with a head cold, an inquest heard.

Mike Dyson died at his neighbour’s house before Almondbury, West Yorkshire

The 33-year-old was four to five times over the drink-drive limit, a pathologist later found.

On the day of his death Mr Dyson had started drinking whisky and hot water after waking up with a head cold.

The quality control inspector went with his family to a neighbour’s house for a drink at 1.30pm.

His mum Heather Dyson told the inquest that she returned home at 2.15pm before heading back to the neighbour’s at 7pm.

When she did she saw her son lying on the bed of the conservatory and assumed he was asleep.

Later the neighbour started banging on the Dyson family’s door and Mrs Dyson ran over to see how he was.

Mrs Dyson, a mother-of-four, told the inquest her son was not breathing and she moved him from his side onto his back.

She started giving him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation while the neighbour called for an ambulance.

Despite the best efforts of medics nothing could be done to revive Mr Dyson and he died at around 8.20pm.

The mum said her son was a “typical lad” who would enjoy going to a local pub with his mates on a weekend.

In January she said: “I can’t believe he’s gone, I keep expecting him to walk through the door.

“He used to do a funny Usain Bolt impression when he came home from work and I can’t believe he won’t be stood there doing it again and saying one of his favourite expressions: ‘It’ll be reet’.

“He was a big lad, 20-plus stone and 6ft’5/6 tall with an infectious smile and there have been so many tributes it’s been quite overwhelming.

“We hadn’t got round to opening the presents on Christmas Day and they were still under the tree but finally we said we will have to do it on New Year’s Day.”

Mike was well-known as a member of Almondbury Liberal Club and played darts at The Sun pub in Lepton.

He worked as a quality controller at Wesco Aircraft EMEA Ltd (now Incora) in Clayton West.

Pathologist Dr Faisal Ali said toxicological analysis revealed a high level of alcohol in Mr Dyson’s body.

Dr Ali said that it would have caused “extreme drunkenness in a normal person” and was at a level related to alcohol-related fatalities.

He said the death was caused by central nervous system depression, particularly breathing, due to acute alcohol toxicity.

Assistant coroner Raja Mahmood concluded that Mr Dyson’s death was alcohol-related.

COMMENTS